Sunday, October 12, 2014

Can I say "I do"?







This week has been so amazing. First the hot LA weather is starting to cool down. Today it is only 75 out which is pretty amazing. Last night I slept in a sweater because I didn't want to sleep with my blankets. The weather here is kind of nuts. Even though it gets super hot during the day the nights are still pretty warm. It probably doesn't help that we only have box fans but that is life. I am just grateful that there is a Walmart close by and that they sell Ice Cream for $2.50 a gallon and sugar free Popsicle for $2.00 for 20. It has really been a blessing :) 

To start we set a few more baptismal dates with a young man named J and a young woman named S, they both couldn't make it to church this last weekend which was a real bummer because they both wanted to go so much and then they just decided to do something else instead of go to church. It was super sad really. Sister B and I were sad for them and that they let themselves be so easily distracted. 

This week I have been studying one of the Ten Commandments, which is not to put "Other God's before God" and I read this talk which was pretty great. I thought I would share a little from the talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks:

What other priorities are being "served" ahead of God by persons—even religious persons in our day? Consider these possibilities, all common in our world:

• Cultural and family traditions
• Political correctness
• Career aspirations
• Material possessions
• Recreational pursuits
• Power, prominence, and prestige

If none of these examples seems to apply to any one of us, we can probably suggest others that do. The principle is more important than individual examples. The principle is not whether we have other priorities. The question posed by the second commandment is "What is our ultimate priority?" Are we serving priorities or gods ahead of the God we profess to worship? Have we forgotten to follow the Savior who taught that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments? (see John14:15). If so, our priorities have been turned upside down by the spiritual apathy and undisciplined appetites so common in our day."

This talk is exactly what I needed to read this week, because it breaks my heart each week when people have a desire to change and repent and then they let other things get in the way, like friends, or what others think. One thing that I have learned on my mission is that Salvation is FREE and Christ paid the price so that we could be here and experience, learn, and grow in this life.

This morning I was reading in Mosiah chapter 14 verses 1 to 9 in the Book of Mormon, which says, "  Yea, even doth not Isaiah say: Who hath believed our report, and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of dry ground; he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we, like sheep, have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquities of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb so he opened not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment; and who shall declare his generation? For he was cut off out of the land of the living; for the transgressions of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no evil, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

I saw what Christ's atonement and sacrifice meant for one family this week as P and O were married. They have been together for 11 years and have 5 children. O was baptized when he was 10 and then fell away from the church. It wasn't until May that I had the amazing opportunity to teach his girlfriend P. She has such a strong desire to have her family sealed in the temple! They have came to church for the past 3 weeks and are working towards being baptized in the next few weeks. One of the most touching things from their wedding was that O's mother was there. She is not a member, she gave me the biggest hug and told me, "thank you for changing my son's life." That was the greatest GIFT I have received on my mission. I couldn't have asked for a better week this week. It was pretty amazing.

I am so thankful for your sacrifices for me too, to be able to serve right now at this time in my life. I am so thankful that the Lord has allowed me to come and serve here in LA. I am so grateful to be a missionary. I am so grateful that we have a prophet who lives on the earth today and I can't wait to hear him speak on October 4th and 5th! Will you watch conference with me?

Love you a ton! Your daughter, sister, and aunt, Hermana Weller

P.S. Mom wrote me the sweetest thing this week, she was just answering my prayers. :) Although, you are out there working for him (the Lord), you are working for yourself.  What a great way for your to grow in your testimony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment