Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Appointments, Immunizations, and the Book of Mormon Challenge

Appointments & Immunizations

It is no joke that the longest part of the missionary application process can be setting up doctor's appointments, getting your dental exams complete, and making sure you have the required immunizations started.

I thought my immunizations were all up to date but come to find out I am missing quite a few which is crazy!  I have been with Kaiser since I was a kid but apparently even they miss the fact that I started an immunization cycle and never finished it. If you are someone who is getting ready to go on a mission or are still contemplating it, here are the immunization requirements are for ALL missionaries, as stated in the missionary application paperwork:

All missionaries, including those serving in their resident countries, require immunizations for tetanus/diphtheria, and hepatitis A and B. In addition, missionaries born after 1957 also require immunizations for measles/mumps/rubella (MMR 1 and 2) and Polio  However, the immunizations are not required to complete this form but should be completed as soon as possible before entering the Missionary Training Center (MTC).

So check your immunizations history with your  medical provider and see what you have already received and what you are missing. This will save so much time and you won't be like me and have to get a bunch of shots all at once or wait even longer to go. :(

Oh and just in case you are wondering what else is required for your Physical Health Evaluation, you are also required to:

  • Full physical 
  • Tuberculosis screening 
  • Urinalysis
  • Hemoglobin or hematocrit test
It really isn't much but if you don't have your immunizations done and you want to go on your mission as soon as you are eligible then get started early. :)

The Book of Mormon Challenge

Temple Square Visitors Center
We have quite a few future Elders and Sisters in our ward. My visiting teacher, who is still in high school  just turned in his Missionary Application to Salt Lake this past week and we are all exciting and waiting to hear where he will be assigned. During this last fast and testimony meeting, the Bishop challenged everyone in our ward to read the Book of Mormon during the month of March! I was sitting there thinking oh my words how am I going to have time to do this! I already feel like I do so much, when am I going to find the time to read 518 pages in 31 days...The answer was simple, if I plan on going on a mission then I should probably live my life more like a missionary. 

So here is what I did to prioritize my day and read at minimum 22 pages a day.

  • I decided to read the Book of Mormon like a book and skip the chapter headings. I find that I focus more on what is happening in the chapters.
  • I got a little chart started so I can cross off what I have read
  • I read any chance I get! 
    • Break or Lunch at Work
    • Running on the Treadmill
  • I listen to the scriptures on Mormon Radio (I did this while I got my teeth cleaned the other day).
  • I read even a versus if I can't get in a few pages.
  • Instead of watching TV I read my scriptures.
  • Carry your scriptures with you (I have the mini one in my purse and access to them on my iPhone)
  • Last but not least, don't be discouraged if you miss a day - the point is to gain a stronger testimony of the Book of Mormon!
If you have not read the Book of Mormon in the last 6 months, then I challenge you to pick it up and start reading. It is an amazing book that will have an answer specifically for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment