Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Working out is hard too do!

Working out is so hard too do, or at least it was for me. Before I decided to go on a mission I would work out every now and then but I would eventually get discouraged. I felt out of shape but didn't want to spend time focusing on working out. I would rather spend time watching TV, playing games online, or going out with friends. I knew once I decided to go on a mission that I needed to get prepared in three different ways: Spiritually, Emotionally, and Physically. This weeks post is all about my journey towards becoming a healthier person and getting more physically prepared. 

The photo on the left was two weeks after I decided to go on a mission (February 16, 2013) and I had been working out a few days a week. Less than two months later, I am walking/running 2-3 miles per day, lifting weights, and boxing. I am so excited that I have been able to eat healthier and have been able to lose 16 lbs! That is the most I have ever lost on a "workout program". My goal is to lose 14 more lbs before I enter the Missionary Training Center (MTC).



My attitude towards working out has totally changed. I now get sad and sometime really mad when I don't get to work out right after work or for the day because of other responsibilities  I just keep reminding myself that I am getting prepared spiritually, physically, and emotionally for a mission and that has totally changed my outlook. When you are a full time missionary you walk at the least 6 miles a day and bike 12 miles a day. Over the past month and a half I have went from walking a mile and feeling like I was going to trip on the treadmill and take myself out! Now I am walking/running 2 miles per day and not running out of breath. :)

Some things that have helped me keep to a workout schedule are:
  • Get your workout clothes ready the night before (saves you time in the morning & makes it so you can't procrastinate)
  • If you miss a day or two or three it's okay, just get back to the GYM
  • Have a workout buddy 
  • Check out Pinterest for quick workout ideas
  • Spend at least an hour a day working out
    • 30 minutes doing Cardio
    • 20 minutes doing Calisthenics
    • 10 minutes doing something fun, in my case it's Boxing or Lifting Weights
  • Change the workout scene, when it's nice, go outside
  • Drink lots of water
  • What you eat matters - I eat salads twice a day and a Spinach smoothie at night
  • Don't eat after 7 PM (it has helped me a lot!)
  • If you are feel hungry after you have eaten or want a snack that's bad, try drinking a glass of water first, after if you still feel hungry, then eat some veggies. You're body may mistake a craving for sweets or soda as hunger instead of a craving.
Hope this helps you on your journey to become the best missionary you can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment