Monday, March 11, 2013

I completed my missionary application online!

March 3, 2013 

Last year on March 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM I was getting ready to go on vacation for the first time to Hawaii! The night before I couldn't sleep, counting sheep didn't sound like fun. I didn't feel like packing either.  So instead I layed down next to my dad (who was pretty ill by this time) and held his hand as he laid there and tried to sleep himself. He would try to talk but he could barely speak. His body was so tired and yet he was still trying to hold on.    Finally after being up for 24 hours, I feel asleep for about 30 minutes just holding my dad's hand. My mom finally woke me up at 5:30 AM and told me I should get ready for the trip. So I went to my room and packed but cried the whole time and didn't know why. An hour later my sisters and I headed for the airport and that was the last time I saw my dad. I gave him a hug and told him I loved him and that I couldn't wait to see him again. I cried as I hugged my brother who was staying with Dad while we went to the airport with my mother. 

When we got to the airport and were going through security, I got a call from my two brothers who were crying to tell us that our dad had stoped breathing. They wanted to know what to do. I quitely said do not do anything, he did not want any assistance with coming back to life. (My father had a DNR or Do Not Resistitae order however my mother and I were the only two who knew at that point) My sisters and I were 45 minutes away from home at the time. We sat down at the terminal and I balled for what seemed like forever. My world was shattering around me. My father was gone. 

It has been a year since my father passed away so today was extermely meaningful for me. Today we got together as a family, went to church, got to hear my mother give a beautiful testimony on the blessings that can be found during trials, and ate dinner together. While we were visiting, the Bishop and his wife came over to see how we were all doing. The Bishop asked me why I had not clicked submit on my missionary application if I have everything complete. So while he was there, I went online and submitted my missionary application to the Bishop! 

A year ago I wouldn't have even considered going on a mission or that a year after my father passed away that I would be at this point. I'm so thankful for my amazing family, for their support in all of my decisions and for their love. :D today like any Sunday was family day and it was so awesome to be around our entire lively family. We miss our father so much but know that we will be together again after this life and that brings me a great deal of peace and hope! I'm so thankful for the knowledge I have of the gospel and am so thankful that I was strengthened this year spiritually and that I am able to see the blessings in my life instead of focusing on the loss. I love you dad...I miss you...and can't wait for your big hug when we see each other again.

I believe that Families are Forever.  I know that this is true and that I can live with my entire family in the next life and live with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  To learn more about the gospel that has brought me such peace, comfort, and joy in my life go to www.mormon.org


**Families are Forever**


Family Photo with Dad and Mom - February 2012 




2 comments:

  1. Awesome, AnnaAlicia!
    I just have to say, "you can't go wrong in serving The Lord!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I'm super excited and can't wait to serve in a whole new way.

      Delete